Sunday 26 June 2016

Nothing without Christ

Really q shag today even though I had a damn long nap after church. Prayed for strength throughout today's services and whacked some coffee just so I could be a little high during kids' worship HAHA.

Today was a little more painful though. Idk what's with sundays sometimes, but today was one where the self esteem sorta plummeted. Where everything everyone said just seemed to... let's just say, not pleasing to the ears. Came back to sleep for a little while before dragging myself out to run with the parents. Went in the opposite direction just so I could have some alone time with God too.

Came back and the words people said today were still stinging to be honest. The book of James has been a really good read today. After bathing and all I decided to do some QT cos I've been waking so friggin early that QT in the morning has been so so bad. Strummed the same old simple songs on the guitar and I really didn't know what to read. SO I read the first thing that I opened - 1 Corinthians. Instead of a topical post I'm just gonna share what I picked up before crashing again.

Been also praying for direction as to which ministry/whether I should move over to covenant east etc and sometimes people aren't all that encouraging when you tell them your plan. But you know, God's been really good today and revealed to me so many comforting verses with whatever He wants me to do (still in the process of finding out what), but yeahhh.

1. God equips the weak for ministry work

Look at what Paul wrote in 1 Cor 2:1 - "When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God." Then in verse 3 he continues -"I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith may not rest on men's wisdom but on God's power." 

Wow this really, really spoke to me. I felt so... inadequate today. Almost as if I wasn't gonna be good enough to serve God, I questioned myself and whether I was even prepared to take on something bigger. But this reminded me that everything we do in God's kingdom is first equipped by God himself. Nobody is ever ready to begin with, but we don't use our own strength to do it, God equips when He leads.

This was a coincidental verse in Joyce Meyer today. The exact same verse was used. Which brings me to the next point.

2.  Not everything can be reasoned by human wisdom

Joyce Meyer wrote: "You must lay aside carnal reasoning if you expect to have discernment." She talked about how Paul dealt with all the smart people in Corinth at that time who always needed answers and logic and reasons as to why things are this way. Which reminded me of a rather heated debate I had with a relatively close friend. His reasoning was about the same as J the very first time I asked him about his beliefs. Sometimes I wished I had the brain of Paul who taught so many people.  But in Chapter 3 he wrote "For the wisdom of the world is foolishness in God's sight". We often think we know so much, and how our reasoning needs to be like how the world reasons. But sometimes using how the world reasons isn't gonna get us answers to everything. In 1 Cor 2:14: "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him". Perhaps what we think we know is different from what God knows, and maybe what we even reason and rationalize based on worldly standards might all be wrong. It is difficult to explain to people most of the time, because we are after all, all carnal beings. But time spent with God will reveal His wisdom that will aid us in discerning things in life.

3. God sees the motive and the heart of your actions

This was pretty scary to me. I set me questioning every single motive I have for my actions, from serving to the things I say etc. 1 Cor 4:5: "He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts."

wowow. Yknow how things appear to others how you'd like them to appear? (manipulating emotions is something alot of us subconsciously do actually). To think that God will expose our true motives and intentions of everything we say and do... is pretty damn scary to say the least.


4. Take action

1 Cor 4:20 - "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk, but of power."
This resonated with Ps Ed's sermon today. There is always something to be done in God's kingdom. You can't always say "I'm not ready". Because, let's face it, we'll all never be ready. He then added, if you need more knowledge then go get it. In other words he meant that if you think you're lacking somewhere and that's preventing you from taking the next step, do something about it. Don't sit around and let others (proxy as he calls it) do the work for you. I think everyone has a part to play. And as I was sitting by ECP today after my run, I opened my bible app and talked to God about my inadequacies. And I got this: The heading was "confirming one's calling" - “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.”
2 Peter 1:5-9 NIV

This reminds us to take action and continue moving in becoming more Christ-like. As long as we possess the qualities in increasing measure, somehow we will be able to be blessed to be a blessing to others. Sure the start isn't easy, but we all gotta start.

5. Sexual sin is sinning against your own body

So this is just a side point. Came across this and never realised how other sins are actually externally related, like lying/murder/idolatry etc. But sexual sin "is (sinning) against his own body" - 1 Cor 6:18
hmm was a good food for thought. 

Okay pretty much too shag to continue. Not even sure if what I wrote makes sense but yup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment